Perth’s three recycling plants have developed one set of recycling rules for the metropolitan area to improve the quality of recycling products.
This update has been developed in response to the changing recycling market caused by China’s ban on imported products.
What this means for Rockingham residents
The following items can no longer be placed into the recycling bin:
- soft “scrunchable” plastics e.g. plastic bags or bread bags
- polystryrene e.g. foam meat trays or foam packaging
- aerosol cans e.g. deodorant spray or air freshener spray
- silver-lined UHT containers e.g. long life milk or soy milk containers.
These items can be placed into the red lidded waste bin. Soft plastics can be recycled recycled through REDcycle at Coles or Woolworths, and aerosols can be taken for free to the Millar Road Landfill Facility.
It is important that when recycling, items must be:
- empty or clean (a rinse may be required)
- lids removed
- placed into the recycling bin loosely, not bagged
- flatten cardboard boxes.
For more information please download the Bin Collection Flyer (187 KB).